Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Driving in US

The last time that I visited US, I had tried to get myself a DL out here. So, I had read all the driving rules thoroughly. Lots of rules trust me. Courtesy driving. Safe distance blah blah blah…can turn here , can’t turn there. Speed limits everywhere. Awesome roads but shit speed limits.We have no good roads but we rip down any roads at high speeds. Ironic isn’t it. Driving on the highway is big time tension for the first few times.70 mph (115 kph) is the speed limit on highways. All cars are running at 70 mph. no room for error. Believe me I was watching the mirror more than the road looking out for cops coz that’s the last people you’d ever want to see out here. Preplanning is a must while driving out here. No paan beeda/cigarette stalls or dhabas to ask directions. Miss an exit (to get out of highway) whoop….you’re gone. Next exit could be 5 miles away and getting back in line a big pain. Now , the road signs are excellent. Good warnings of exits but while busy trying to look out for cops, crazy truckers and occasional rash driving cars, its real easy to miss exits. Luckily I haven’t missed any exit else I’d get lost.
My car comes with cruise control. That’s the 1st thing I do. Switch on cruise control as soon as I see a speed limit signboard. Yaakappa kireeku. The highways are really tempting to overspeed. Only once I did do 110 mph while overtaking. That’s it. Got back to cruising.